Pages

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Teaching My Students to Write Poems: Here I Go!

Welcome!

Hello and welcome to my blog! I'm a newbie at blogging so please be patient as I learn how to work my way around this blog.  I've never followed blogs before and have never maintained one. Oh what I've missed out on! I have truly enjoyed reading blogs through Google Reader the past few weeks. I have learned so much already about technology, classroom management, library issues, and so much more! 

My ultimate goal in this class is to learn as much as I can about how to incorporate technology into the classroom and into the library.  I am currently teaching but will soon have a Master's degree in Library Media.  The incorporation and use of technology is huge in the library and in education.  Therefore, I need to learn as much as I can so that I can prepare my students to be successful in the 21st century.  I already incorporate some technology into my teaching but I'm excited to try some of the things I've learned thus far with my precious students.


Google Reader Reference/Favorite Technology

Through reading a post titled, "The Poetry Idea Engine Helps Students Create Poems," on the blog, Free Technology for Teachers, I became inspired to learn more about the whiteboard application, Poetry Idea Engine. I currently use an interactive whiteboard (Interwrite Dual board) and this application intrigues me because I have been looking for ways to teach my students how to write simple poems. I myself struggle with writing poetry so any help that I can get is much needed. This application is designed to give students a much-needed "start" to the writing of a poem. Poetry Idea Engine provides the students with a framework and with instructions for writing haikus, limericks, free verse, and other types of poems.  Sometimes just having a good starting point is what it takes in order to get learners off on the right foot.  This application does just that.  It provides students with a starting point. 

Reference for the Free Technology for Teachers blog comments:
R Byrne. (2013, April 2). The poetry engine helps students create poems [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://www.freetech4teachers.com/2013/04/the-poetry-idea-engine-helps-students.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+freetech4teachers%2FcGEY+%28Free+Technology+for+Teachers%29&utm_content=Google+Reader


Link to Poetry Information


Poetry came up again this week as I sat in a faculty meeting where we analyzed the new common core standards for English that we are to teach starting next year.  The term poetry came up a lot in the standards that I am responsible for teaching. Being that I am not so strong at teaching students how to write poetry, I am on a search for sources that will aid me in teaching my students.

The following link goes to Scholastic.  In the month of April, Scholastic is highlighting poetry by providing educators with lesson plans, resources, books, etc. that deal with teaching poetry. This reference provides age-appropriate resources.
Scholastic Poetry 

Reference
Poetry month: Everything you need (2013). In Scholastic. Retrieved from http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/unit/poetry-month-everything-you-need.



YouTube Video


Keeping the poetry theme going, I chose a video from YouTube of a teacher explaining what a haiku is and how students can go about writing one.  I like how she explains a haiku in simple terms.  Simple is always good when learning new concepts. 

Reference
Writing lessons: How to write a haiku (n.d.). In YouTube. Retrieved from http://youtu.be/rnuBaaw_EZk.





Favorite Technology Supports Learning

This may sound "cheesy" to some of you technology experts but I could not live (teach) without my rolling cart that contains an Elmo, projector, and laptop.  I use these technologies all throughout the day in my classroom.  It is so convenient to be able to display a document within seconds.  I use the Elmo and projector daily to review homework, to review tests and to review all worksheets that the students complete.  I project reading passages that contain words that follow the weekly spelling patterns for the students to read chorally.  I also use my laptop and projector along with my Interwrite Dual board.  The Interwrite board is a favorite of mind as well.  Hands-on learning is provided to the students when they manipulate coins in order to count groups of coins.  I also use the Interwrite board to display maps, calendars, etc. 

The Elmo, projector, laptop, Internet access, and the Interwrite Dual board all provide benefits for me and my students.  These technologies and devices aid me in motivating my students to learn and they aid me in keeping their attention (Roblyer & Doering, 2013, p.25).  For instance, when introducing a new concept, I can project a song or video from the Internet using the projector for the students to enjoy.  The Interwrite Dual board provides my students with opportunities to work with real-world applications (Roblyer & Doering, 2013, p. 25).  My students are able to count groups of coins by moving the coins on the screen and they are able to tell time by manipulating the hands on a clock.  These experiences enable my students to easily comprehend a new strategy in math. 

I saved my favorite benefit for last.  These technologies save me time!  I spend less time standing at the copy machine now that I have a projector and an Elmo.  I need just 1 copy as opposed to 18.  This saves the school money as well.  They also allow me to share ideas and resources with my students on a whim (Roblyer & Doering, 2013, p. 26).  For example, as I prepared for my students to read a passage about a boy receiving a bicycle without training wheels for his birthday, it dawned on me that some of my students may not know what training wheels are.  Before I projected the passage for us to choral read, I used the laptop to show my students images of training wheels.  I did this in order to build my students' background knowledge of bikes.  This, in turn helped them to better comprehend to story.

Reference
Roblyer, M. D. & Doering, A. H. (2013). Integrating educational technology into teaching
         6th edition. Boston: Pearson.
 














4 comments:

  1. Your blog is adorable! I love the orange and blue shades (War Eagle:)). I totally agree with you on the fact that technology saves time! I love that I can read books that project through the Elmo, and avoid walking around and showing each student the pictures up close! So much quicker! I also love that I don't have to make so many copies of worksheets, etc. My students and I can complete it together using the Elmo. This especially comes in handy when I am introducing a new subject or skill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Abby, I love using my Elmo and projector to project pictures in a book. It is definitely quicker, easier and quieter to project the illustrations rather than walk around the room with the book. I have gotten into the habit of reviewing the math homework every morning by projecting the sheet. One morning last week I couldn't get the projector to turn on. I panicked until it came on. It was then that I realized just how much I depend on technology.

      Delete
  2. Very nice blog set up!

    I bet it is nice to have the cart with the Elmo. I know the kids eat it up when you're working with it. Less paper worksheets and more technology interaction has got to be a ton of fun to teach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jordan! The children do love to work with technology. They are thrilled each time they get to interact with it in any way. They especially like to play educational apps on the iPad. Technology is definitely a great attention getter!

      Delete